In the year 2012 Rukararwe started a Renewable Energy Technology Centre (RETEC) program targeting 40 local unemployed young women and men in Bushenyi District.
The project has two main objectives:
To transfer manufacture and installation skills of various Renewable Energy (RE) technologies to local young women and men who will then extend their services to the general population while earning an income
To increase access to sustainable alternative energy and to create skills based employable and renewable energy business minded youth
REST program will impact youth with both theory and emphasise practical based teaching on real renewable technology installations, manufacture, construction and invention of renewable energy products such as:
- Solar-energy and solar-thermic
- Energy saving cooking stoves
- Earth-brick-technology in addition to metal-work
- Water-protection and hygiene
- Compost-toilets and bio gas filters
Through those topics the Youth also gains knowledge about nature conservation and protection.
In August 2016 the RETEC program started again. For three month around 30 young women and men got the opportunity to study about renewable energ
y technologies in Rukararwe. In November 2016 all of them successfully passed their exams.
- Three students of the RETEC program opened successfully a solar shop in Ishaka
- Students have managed to generate an additional income through installing solar panels
- Students constructed for families in the surrounding communities energy saving stoves
- Students broadened their minds in sustainability and environmental conservations and shared their knowledge with family members and friends