The Grieving and Counselling Association was established in 2013 with the aim to help and support the people who have lost their wifes/husbands. The group consists of 60 members, who meet two times per month.
During their meetings they do not only preach the word of God, which brings them hope, but also gain and give knowledge about HIV/AIDs, health matters and learn how to sustain themselves and their families, after their beloved ones have died. Music, Dance and Drama helps them to cope with their problems and gives them a strong social cohesion.
These are the main objectives of the group:Counselling those who have lost their dear ones
- Advise sick people to go to hospitals to get treatment and advice from medical workers
- Encourage HIV patients to use ARVs and condoms
- Advise HIV patients to involve themselves in productive activities to boost their incomes
- To encourage the members to lead a responsible life, abstinence sex and taking drugs
- To preach the word of God
- To sensitize the members about general hygiene
After the partner has died, in most cases its difficult for the widow/widower to sustain the family. This opened the eyes of the victimized persons who agreed to start up this initiative group. The group has gradually progressed and through various donations different projects have been established to support the members, so that they can manage their day-to-day needs, domestic utilities and school fees for their children.
Below are the projects that the group has established from the donations they have acquired:
- Beekeeping project:
- The members have been trained in Beekeeping. By now 12 beehives belong to the group. The members can generate an additional income through selling the honey.
- Goats project
- Nine goats have been given out to the members. After one goat gives birth, the mother goat will be given to the next family. The young goat remains ith the first family. The family can generate an additional income through selling the newborn goats.
- Cow project
- One Cow has been given out to a member. After the cow gives birth the mother cow will be given to the next family. The calf stays with the first family. Through thisproject, the family can drink and sell their own milk. The family can generate an income through selling the milk or the next calf.
® The Goat and the Cow projects will continue, until all members have gotten their own goat and cow.