For holistic healing of body and soul, western medicine, traditional medicine and counseling have to work together.
Rukararwe Partnership Workshop for Rural Development is trying to combine these methods in its clinic and projects.
It has a component of traditional medicine which started with the mobilization of healers all over Bushenyi District (more than 100 healers) and also a component of counseling which takes place once a week in Bushenyi town.
- Traditional knowledge sharing
- Combination of traditional and modern healing therapies (hence the name medtrad)
- Treatment of different diseases in a herbal clinic run on daily basis on Rukararwe grounds
- Establishment of herbal gardens (domestication of rare medicinal plant species)
- Herbal medicine documentation in written books
- Herbal medicine research and analysis
- Training (youth) on traditional medicine, sustainable harvesting, drug preparation and packaging
- Improved packaging and labeling
- Counseling of the grieved